Friday, June 6, 2008

Interview with Mystery Author Frank Megna

MysteryAuthors.com is proud to have Frank Megna with us for an interview today. Thank you for joining us!

M.A.: Tell us a little about your featured mystery, The Long Count.

Frank: It’s an old fashioned detective story featuring an over-the-hill boxer as a P.I. Actually, it’s a story of redemption and healing masquerading as a mystery.

M.A.: Can you share with us (without giving anything away, of course!) a personal favorite moment or line in your book?

Frank: Not really. I suppose I was most emotionally affected by the ending, when my lead character returns to the ring hoping somehow to recover something that’s been lost forever, his dead wife.

M.A.: Why mysteries? What makes them so compelling for you to write?

Frank: A mystery is the perfect structure to test-–challenge is a better word—-your characters. The outer journey of finding the truth behind some crime compels my central character prove who he is, to stand by his values and to ultimately stand for some kind of justice in a morally ambiguous world.


M.A.: What about other work? Do you write in any genres other than mystery?


Frank: I stated out as an actor in New York. I began writing plays so I could play parts I thought were better than what I was being offered. I was given an opportunity to write for a TV show named CrimeStory and shortly thereafter moved to Los Angeles. I have a small theater in West Hollywood, Working Stage Theater, and sometimes conduct acting and writing workshops. I wrote and directed a low budget independent feature film, The Seekers, which screened at the Newport Beach Film Festival in April.

M.A.: What was your funniest writing-related moment?

Frank: Well, early on one of my plays was given a staged reading by a theater development group in New York. Let’s just say that the lead character was a street guy from Brooklyn and the casting was rather bizarre. The actor reading had a distinctly Southern drawl which made the dialogue very “amusing.” Although, it wasn’t very funny at the time.

M.A.: I'll bet!! So, what's your current writing project? Is it a mystery, too?

Frank: I’m working on a few things. One is for theater: three thematically connected, one-act plays about Boomers. I am working on a screenplay which is a noirish story set in LA and featuring my boxer/P.I., Johnny DeMarco. It was originally intended as a book sequel to The Long Count, but seems more suited to the screen.

M.A.: Other than MysteryAuthors.com, do you have any websites where readers can find out more about you and your work?

Frank: www.workingstage.com is best.

Thanks again for agreeing to take a Minute for Mystery by joining us here today.

2 comments:

Harry said...

"Meet me at the Cafe Nowhere Quick ..."

"The next morning popped open like a blood blister ..."

"Most of the paintings looked like what happens on a house painter's drop cloth."

I liked The Long Count. It's both fresh and a throwback. Boxing. The Occult. Family. Friendship.

ankur said...

I must say that The Long Count
had a terrific end.


Phone Info Tracer